Say this to yourself:
"My mission should I choose to accept it, is to find peace with exactly who I am . To take pride in my thoughts, my appearance, my flaws and to stop this incessant worrying that I can't be loved as I am".Anaïs Nin
Just before putting my thoughts down to write this post, I had a flash memory of my Mom's luncheon party feasts when I was a teenager. She is an amazing cook and a wholehearted woman. Her focus was rigorous when it comes to feeding the guests, pleasing the neighbors, and going out of her way to gift her girlfriends. She usually forgot her essential needs, and hard to get her attention when she was consumed in an "unselfish" task. I am not sure why I brought this up but the unconscious wanted to remind me that my mother is a perfect example of someone who put everyone's need above her own.
It is hard to practice self-soothing in a culture that has taught us that being selfish is the worst thing we could ever be. It is selfish to take care of yourself. We’ve been taught to put everyone else’s needs above our own. Please try not to confuse healthy self care with the selfish narcissistic variety that discounts others.
Self Care is the kind that recognizes that you won't be any good to anyone, including yourself, if you let yourself fall apart.
But what if that selfishness self-care is the only way to become"self-less"? I always get drawn to dig deeper on this topic but today I want to highlight some soothing practices that you can implement in your daily life, moment-to moment that would bring you closer to yourself. It is a practice that you have forgotten, the one that reminds you of your own nature.
Self-Soothing is more than visits to the spa/ nail salon, yoga practice and Prada stores(though I won’t say no to ).
It is much deeper and more personal and perhaps it is the most important tool of Self -Love.
It is the ability to calm yourself down in moments of fear and vulnerability, and when feeling insecure and intense emotions.
It is the most soulful food that could nourish and nurture your relationship with yourself and others. It is as simple as re-parenting yourself .
If you find yourself missing some soothing skills that naturally could have learned through parenting in childhood, the good news is; it is not too late. I am a recovered self-soother and still find it challenging occasionally. At times, I find myself suddenly insecure and become like a child whowaits for Mummy to come back home, or wanting my pacifier to keep me calm. The good news is that you can always learn, try and learn every moment to find this comfort place daily in the busy-ness of your life. It is a practice that requires awareness and consistency. I gathered below some productive soothing tools that if practiced, you will become more vibrant, whole and attuned to your own spirit.
Embrace the scared child in you (literally)
Look for what amazes and astonishes you in the world
Make sure to live as if are worthy of your own time
Learn about the voice that keep you small and safe and disintegrate
Write letter to those people who had hurt you and send to shredder
Do Breath Work to get in touch with emotions
Speak to yourself like you speak to someone you love
Journal, Write your thoughts
Listening or reading motivational content
Reading intellectual material, or novels
Taking some new courses
Designing your website,blog
Decluttering, Cleaning, Decorating Your Home
Massages, Spa, Exercise, Yoga, Cardio
Cooking Your Favorite Meal
Art, Poetry, Blogging, Social Media
Connecting with like-minded
Visiting Farmer’s Market
Going out of your way for yourself
Spending time with Children
- Jun 17, 2018 The myth of Positivity Jun 17, 2018
- May 26, 2018 Why your willpower won't power (" I won't power" vs "I want power") May 26, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Reasons why your brain maybe holding you back (from achieving your goals ) Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 27, 2018 How to Break the Diet/Binge cycle Jan 27, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 The Three Difficult Practices to Stop Emotional/Binge Cycle or( any habitual cycle) Jan 19, 2018
- Jan 2, 2018 NotGettingThe NextBigGet Jan 2, 2018
- December 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 What you need to know about Emotional eating Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Are you in Control? Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 will you stay ? Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 The truth that no one tells you about how to live an Extraordinary Life Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 How to believe you're good enough ? Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Why not live as if you deserve all the pleasure-at and away from the table ? Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 The art of Loving and accepting your body Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 How to turn an episode of emotional binging into powerful learning ? Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Holistic Nutrition | Emotional Constipation | Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Mindfulness | The power of Intention | Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Mindfulness | Acceptance and Celebration of Feelings | Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Mindfulness | June gratitude Challenge | Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Nutrition | Why your healthy is not my healthy? | Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Excellence or Perfectionism ? Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Primary Hungers Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Re-Parenting yourself Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 What if your relationship with food is the doorway to the rest of your life? Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 The power of Recieving Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 What is your vibrational State? Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Enough is not an amount Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 Sidebar widget host Sep 11, 2017